More Load Testing & Scope Mounting Tweaks On My CVA Accura V2

Target bullet groups

The 3 shot 100 yard groups I shot today with my CVA Accura V2, Browning X-Bolt in 270 WSM and my Model 1885 in 300 Win Mag. 

After my first two trips out to testing bullets and a Vortex Viper HS LR scope on my muzzleloader I found that I greatly lacked MOA adjustment in the scope and that the 300 Gr AeroLite bullets were giving me the best accuracy.

I went back to the drawing board with mounting the scope. I kept the EGW rail but turned it around. I turned it around so that the overhang of the rail would cover the blast that escapes and was coating the bottom of my scope with nasty crap. My idea worked great other than I needed to but safety goggles on because to defected crap back into my face. I am going to solve the deflecting debris by sticking a small piece of felt across the top of the receiver or the bottom of the rail and see how that works.

To get the turret back near below center I purchased some Medium height Burris Signature Zee Rings. I then used the inserts to cant the scope forward as much as I possibly could. According to the inserted chart I should pickup 15.2 MOA with the 4.75 inches between the two rings that I have.

I also picked up a Blackhorn loose powder breech plug. This breech plug is designed to provide a more consistent ignition for those that shoot the loose powder instead of the pellets.

Last trip out 130 Gr of powder shot a group just a smidgen larger than an inch. After a bore sighting shot aimed at the center of all the targets I first shot the 130 Gr load again. With the new breech plug 130 Gr didn't shoot as well so I tried 140 and then 120 Gr and bingo 120 Gr group is near 3/4 inch. Better that my X-Bolt with the SSTs today. Wow! It amazes me that a smoke pole can shoot this well.

After shooting today and zeroing the scope for the 120 Gr load that shot so well I now have 46 MOA of adjustment left to dial up long shots which would max me out at around 550 yards according to Strelok Pro. I will need to verify my drops by finding a place to shoot out to 500 yards in the next month or so. 

Today I also brought along my 270 WSM X-Bolt and my 300 Win Mag Model 1885. I have been doing a little load development with the 150 Gr Hornady SST and the 212 Hornady ELD-X bullets. I had four different H1000 powder charges for the 150 SST's and two different H1000 charges for the ELD-X bullets. I have shot a few groups with these bullets earlier this summer and I'm seeing good results with the 150 SST but so far just plain bad results with the ELD-X. I'm starting to lean toward the ELD-X may need a powder other than my favorite H1000 or it likes to be seated way off the lands.

I would like to have the 150 SST setup for Dallen to hunt with for muleys and elk by the first of October. The one group is under an inch. I'm getting close with the SST.

 

 

EGW Rail on CVA Accura V2

The EGW rail works great at keeping my scope clean but deflects debris back to my face. I am going to try sticking a piece of felt to the receiver or rail in the narrow slot you can see here. 

Additional information